Both the First United Methodist Church and the Rainier Club were purpose-built for their respective institutions and have remained in constant use by the institutions for nearly 100 years. This is very unusual in Seattle. It is also unusual that although the two structures were expressly tailored to meet their respective institutions' requirements at the time, they have been able to continually use their structures despite changing needs. This has been accomplished by the church primarily through its 1950 addition, and by the club primarily through interior remodels. The church has been able to expand its social service functions over the years, and the club has been able to accommodate the changing tastes of its members. Neither has been accomplished, however, without sustained effort.